Central United Methodist Church
30 Union St N
Concord, NC 28025-4794
Central United Methodist Church is located in historic downtown Concord, North Carolina. Union Street runs through the quaint downtown of this Southern town. While Central has had a home on several downtown locations through its history, it now sits at 30 Union Street North, across from the downtown library. The back of the building faces Church Street. There is also an entrance to our main offices there. We are 30 minutes from Charlotte, 20 minutes from Salisbury, 30 minutes from the Huntersville/Lake Norman area.
Central United Methodist Church is a congregation of disciplined Christians committed to making disciples of Jesus Christ through our hospitality, worship, nurture, and service. We welcome guests into our church, share with them the good news of Jesus Christ, prepare people for ministry, and send forth persons into mission throughout the world.
United Methodist Beliefs
John Wesley and the early Methodists were particularly concerned about inviting people to experience God’s grace and to grow in their knowledge and love of God through disciplined Christian living. They placed primary emphasis on Christian living, on putting faith and love into action. This emphasis on what Wesley referred to as "practical divinity" has continued to be a hallmark of United Methodism today. We invite you to learn more about our rich theological heritage. From the United Methodist Church website.
History of Central United Methodist Church
Central United Methodist Church is part of the Wesleyan movement that began over two hundred years ago in England and now claims 75 million Christians worldwide.
In 1836, the Reverend David Derrick began to preach in a the Concord area. The first church building of Concord Methodist Episcopal Church was a one-room facility built in 1839 just around the corner of the current facility. Lighting in that building was by candles on wooden brackets.
In 1860, the congregation moved to the present site as Concord Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy spent the night across the street from the church in 1865, and his military escort spent the night in the church.
In 1882, the congregation added a steeple and the first sanctuary organ in the community. The name of the congregation changed to Central Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
In 1902, a new sanctuary was added, complete with many stained glass windows. The church was one of the first customers of the community electrical system. Two of these stained glass windows still remain in our facilities and eleven more of these windows will be included in a new facility.
In 1960, the church added an Educational Building, where an old parsonage once stood. In 1968, our name changed to Central United Methodist Church.
In 1974, our beautiful sanctuary was built that continues to provide warm, natural space for the worship of God.
In 2015 we added a memorial garden and columbarium. In 2016 we completely renovated our sanctuary.
In the years to come, we expect to add additional facilities to expand our ministry and missions.
History of Central Book
A History of Central United Methodist Church: and an Introduction to The United Methodist Church and Cabarrus County, North Carolina through the Lens of a Vital Congregation
The 200-page book with 100 color pictures was written by Pastor Andy with the help of many church members. It covers the rise of Methodism in our area, the establishment of our congregation in 1836, and the many stories of our congregation and community over the past 175 years.
The books will be sold for $30 (to cover the cost of printing) first-come, first-serve. If you would like a copy, write a check and pick up your copy now.