Central United Methodist Church is part of the Wesleyan movement that began over two hundred years ago in England and now claims 75 million Christians worldwide.
- In 1836, the Reverend David Derrick began to preach in a the Concord area. The first church building of Concord Methodist Episcopal Church was a one-room facility built in 1839 just around the corner of the current facility. Lighting in that building was by candles on wooden brackets.
- In 1860, the congregation moved to the present site as Concord Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy spent the night across the street from the church in 1865, and his military escort spent the night in the church.
- In 1882, the congregation added a steeple and the first sanctuary organ in the community. The name of the congregation changed to Central Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
- In 1902, a new sanctuary was added, complete with many stained glass windows. The church was one of the first customers of the community electrical system. Two of these stained glass windows still remain in our facilities and eleven more of these windows will be included in a new facility.
- In 1960, the church added an Educational Building, where an old parsonage once stood. In 1968, our name changed to Central United Methodist Church.
- In 1974, our beautiful sanctuary was built that continues to provide warm, natural space for the worship of God.
- In 2015, we added a memorial garden and columbarium. In 2016 we completely renovated our sanctuary.
In the years to come, we expect to add additional facilities to expand our ministry and missions.
History of Central Book
A History of Central United Methodist Church: and an Introduction to The United Methodist Church and Cabarrus County, North Carolina through the Lens of a Vital Congregation
The 200-page book with 100 color pictures was written by former Pastor Andy Langford with the help of many church members. It covers the rise of Methodism in our area, the establishment of our congregation in 1836, and the many stories of our congregation and community over the past 175 years.
The books will be sold for $30 (to cover the cost of printing) first-come, first-serve. If you would like a copy, write a check and pick up your copy now.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Connect With Us Online
Submit a Prayer Request
Central United Methodist Church
30 Union Street N.
Concord, NC 28025
We are located across the street from the Library in Downtown Concord.
© Central United Methodist Church. All rights reserved.
Site design by Perry Productions.
Concord Central UMC